Skegness United FC badge

Match Reports

Skegness United vs N Thoresby



United were playing their first league home match of the season when they entertained last year’s division three champion North Thoresby.

United were missing a number of players due to various availability including Ryan O’Loughlin, Nathan Wetton, Rhys Mansell and Jamie Turner. Returning to the squad were Sam Sleight, Jack Ashwell, Ashley Read, Kieran Rayner-Mistery and Aran Gray.

The match started with Jack Minor in goal for the injured Connor Carse. In the early stages it was the visitors who looked the more lively and produced a half chance when they fired just wide of the post.

Then after 10 minutes it was the turn of United coming close to taking the lead when a good flowing move down the right resulted in Keaton Grainger firing just wide of the upright.

After the slow start by United they began to have more of the game without causing any major problems to the visiting keeper Jason Stamford.

The first half was dominated by both defences and very few chances came to either side, although United had just the more procession.

The second half started with United looking the more likely to open the scoring. Within a minute a 20 yard shot by Karl Minor was just wide of the post. However, at the other end it was Thoresby who came the nearest to open the scoring. When United failed to clear their lines a shot came in from the visitors which hit the upright before being cleared.

United made a double change within a five minute spell when Aran Gray replaced the unwell Jack Ashwell and Sam Sleight came in for Sam Green.

On 70 minutes United took the lead when Alex Kendrick put in delightful cross and CONOR MINOR rose above the visitors defence and headed into the corner giving keeper Stamford no chance.

A couple of minutes later Kendrick cut in from the left and was just over the bar with his shot. On 80 minutes Kieran Rayner-Mistry replaced Ashley Read.

With United looking at heading for 3 points Thoresby won a free kick on their right – which was disputed by United. The ball was played in for a visiting player to head home. This was the first time in the match that the United defence had failed to clear a ball into their box.

Shortly afterwards the final whistle blew with both sides taking a point. On reflection the result was fair with defences being on top thoughout.

TEAM: Jack Minor, Jamie Lyall, Ashley Read (Kieran Rayner-Mistry) , Karl Minor, Alex Simpson, Jack Ashwell (Arun Gray), Alex Kendrick, Jonathan Hodson, Keaton Grainger, Conor Minor, and Sam Green (Sam Sleight)

Unused Subs: Aiden Smith and Naveed Shafiq

Scamblesby vs Skegness United



United started their league programme with a trip to Horncastle to take on Scamblesby.

This was a new look United side with only 3 players in the starting line up from last season these being Alex Simpson, Alex Kendrick and Nathan Wetton.

The match kicked off with the rain still falling, however the pitch was in good condition considering the amount of rain during the day.

The first attacks came from the home side, however they were dealt with in confident style by the visitors. United began to put their passing game together without causing any undue problems to the home defence.

In the early stages the new look United side were still getting to know each other, and it was until the 18th minute before the first direct effort on goal. Keaton Grainger picked up a loose ball in the home area, and his first time shot was just wide of the goal.

United went into the lead on 23 minutes when RHYS MANSELL received a ball from Ryan O’Loughlin and fired high into the net from 20yards giving the keeper no chance.

On 30 minutes United went two up when a ball into the home area was not cleared and ALEX KENDRICK flicked the ball home from 5 yards. Five minutes later it was 3-0 when Kendrick broke down the left and played the ball into KARL MINOR who poked the ball home from close range.

On 38 minutes an O’Loughlin free kick was heading for the top corner when a defender got a head to the ball and went out for a corner. With half time approaching another excellent run down the left by Kendrick resulting in cross which was met by RYAN O’LOUGHLIN at the far post to knock home.

A minute later after a poor clearance by the home keeper O’Loughlin hit the post.

United went in at home time with a 4-0 lead, and after a slow start had dominated the home. The only danger to United came from dead ball situation, however they were dealt with by the home defence of Jamie Lyall, Alex Simpson, Nathan Wetton and Jack Minor giving good cover to keeper Carl Cause.

The second half started the same for United as the first half ended. With a couple of minutes were five up. Good interplay on the edge of the home area finally resulted in Mansell playing in RYAN O’LOUGHLIN who calmly beat the home keeper.

RYAN O’LOUGHLIN completed his hat trick when United were awarded a free kick on the edge of the area, and placed his shot wide of the keeper into the corner.

On 65 minutes Jonathon Hodson replaced Karl Minor followed shortly afterwards Aiden Smith replacing Jack Minor.

The home side had their best period of the match in a five minute spell, but the visitors defence stood firm clearing any dangerous balls into the box.

Then 75 minutes following a break down the left by Wetton the ball was played in and KEATON GRAINGER flicked the ball home from close range. On 80 minutes United had 8 on the board when Mansell released RYAN O’LOUGHLIN who beat the defender and placed his shot into the corner for his fourth of the match.

The game ended with a confident win for United to start their season, however there will be stiffer tests in the coming months. It was an excellent team performance from back to front and Karl and Conor Minor and later in the game Jonathon Hodson having control of the midfield.

TEAM: Conor Cause, Jamie Lyall, Jack Minor (Adie Smith), Karl Minor (Jonathon Hodson) Alex Simpson, Nathan Wetton, Alex Kendrick, Conor Minor , Keaton Grainger, Ryan O’Loughlin and Rhys Mansell.

MAN OF MATCH: Ryan O’Loughlin


Sutton Rovers vs United (Friendly)



Going into this final pre-season friendly, United had almost a full-strength squad to draw from with only a few faces missing from the line-up. From the start, the young United team took the game to the home side, playing some very attractive flowing football. For the first quarter of an hour, United pressed and pushed Sutton to try gaining the advantage but the home defence stood firm. Finally on 17 minutes, the pace of Dom Murray-Parris proved to be too much when he was able to latch on to a loose ball and then calmly slotted the ball past the hme keeper for the 1st goal of the night. This was nothing more than United deserved for all their pressure. Strangely, against the run of play, Sutton grabbed an equaliser. Whilst still on a high from opening the scoring, United sat back and allowed the Sutton side to work some space, the loose ball found its way to the edge of the area where it was hammered home. 1 - 1.

This seemed to fire up United who then proceeded to grab the game and push harder. Through a combination of solid defensive work and loose passing the game remained tied until the half hour mark when Dom Murray-Parris anticipate a loose pass at the back for Sutton. This left him in acres of space which he used wisely to draw the keeper then slid the ball home. 2-1 United. With half-tie fast approaching, it was that man Dom again who seized a long forward pass to run at the Sutton defence. Calmly rounding the keeper, he slotted home for his hat trick. 3-1 United.

After the restart, the gae had barely kicked off when Dom Murray-Parris yet again used his pace to get on the end of a neat through-ball. He out-stripped the chasing defence to slip the ball under the advancing keeper. 4-1 United. Within a couple of minutes, United had extended their lead even further following som eneat interplay, Dom slipped the ball through to Zak Bray who slotted the ball home from a tight angle. 5-1 United. 

By now, the young United side were brimming with confidence and the play reflected this. Every ball was chased as they sought to add to their lead. Following a loose pass at the back for Sutton, yet again Dom Murray-Parris seized the ball and slipped the ball past the keeper to make it 5 for him and 6 for United. As the game was drawing to a close, an impressive Sam Green was set free by some neat midfield play and a cool head saw him grab his first goal. 7-1 United. Minutes later, United pushed even further ahead. With the keeper closing the angle, a clever lob by Rhys Mansell dropped neatly into the Sutton net. 8-1 United.

As the final whistle approached, a late tackle brought a penalty for United. With the score sitting as it was, United would have been forgiven for taking their foot off the gas. This was clearly not the case. As the ball was placed on the spot Jonny Hodson stepped up to smash the ball into the back of the net to make it 9-1.

An absolutely solid performance from United as they head into the start of the season at the weekend. Everyone played their part in the game and contributed to a fantastic scoreline for the young United side.

Grimoldby vs Skegness Utd Development Squad

For the second week in a row, Skegness Utd Development Squad travelled to Grimoldby, this time in the E&M Trophy. As with previous games, this turned out to be a fantastic cup tie played in good spirits by two teams playing open attacking football in what proved to be difficult conditions.

The first 15 minutes saw the back 4 of Hayes, Leatherland, Reid and Ashwell soak up the pressure from the home team, but it was Skegness who scored first on 15 minutes when a through ball from Matt Charles found Dom Murray-Parris who slotted home from 12 Yards 1-0 to United. This lead was to be short-lived. Almost from the kick off, Grimoldby drew level to make it1-1. This seemed to spur United into action and the midfield of Briggs , Paul, Charles, Walker and Murray-Paris took control of the game playing some neat football. This resulted in a clean finish from Tomm Pickett following neat football from Matt Charles and Daniel Briggs which saw United finish the half going in 2-1 ahead

In the 2nd half both teams emerged looking for the win, with the home team out-playing united for 30 minutes scoring two good goals. With United 3-2 down, the change that affected the game was made; two substitutions - Alex Kendrick and Jamie Wolstenholme were made. The impact was almost instant. United used Murray and Kendrick on each flank to stretch the home team`s defence. This allowed Jamie Wolstenholme to score with two clinical finishes. With United 4-3 ahead and cruising towards the final whistle and the next round, Tomm Picket rounded of a good afternoon for the visitors with a low drive with seconds remaining. This sees the United Development Squad with the chance for a league and cup Double in their first season.

Wyberton vs Skegness Utd (Supplementary Cup)




United were playing their second match in Group A of the Supplementary Cup and also the second match against Wyberton in the same group.

With Ross Muirhead and Kyle Howitt unavailable Harry Ginniff and Danny Reid came back into the starting line up.

The home side had two half chances in the first three minutes from Danny White and Jon Macleod and on both occasions, Travis Portas saved their efforts. However it did not take Wyberton long to take the lead when on 6 minutes LEE ORREY broke down the left and as Portas came out he slotted his shot passed him.

On 10 minutes Michael Gardner had a shot on target, which took a deflection over the bar for a corner. Then another corner a minute later was cleared off the line by United.

Wyberton went two up on 14 minutes when Jamie Elston’s shot was blocked by Portas however, LEE ORREY was on hand to knock the loose ball home from close range. United’s first attack on the home defence came on 20 minutes when Troy Lonslow broke down the right and his cross was cleared for a corner. Up to this point Martin Louth in the home goal had no direct shot to save.

Two minutes later Portas was in action again saving low down. Harry Ginniff produced United’s first shot at goal on 30 minutes however it was well off the target. At this point United began to come more into the game and a good run by Danny Reid released Louis Sae-be but Louth was quickly off his line to gather the through ball.

On 35 minutes another chance came the way of United following a free kick by Sae-be the ball found its way to Jake Portas whose misplaced shot went wide. During the last third of the half United had been more involved in the game without causing Louth in the home goal any problems. Just on half time Ben Jaques was just wide for Wyberton with a toe-poke shot wide of the upright.

United went in at half time with plenty to do in the second half if they wanted to get back into the game.

At the start of the second half United made changes in positions with Reid and Corey Cunliffe pushing forward, and Jake Portas and George Hobbins dropping into the back line. The first chance of the second half came the way of the home side when Orrey broke down the left, but his shot hit the side netting.

United’s first shot of the second half came from Sae-be on 50 minutes which took a deflection for a corner, and from the resulting corner kick Cunliffe was over the bar with his header. On 60 minutes United had their best chance of the game when the ball found its way to Dom Goddard and with the goal open to him fired over the bar.

On 75 minutes a good flowing movement by the visitors resulted in Reid firing over the bar. On 84 minutes the home side went three up when substitute Dan Maddison received the ball on the edge of the area – made room for himself and although Portas got an hand to his shot could not prevent it finding the corner of the net.

The second half had been 100% better for United and they matched their opponents, however the damage had been done in the opening 20 minutes.

Team: Travis Portas, Alex Kendrick, Danny Reid, Arun Gray, Corey Cunliffe, Jake Portas, George Hobbins, Harry Ginniff, Troy Lonslow (Tom Pickett), Louis Sae-be and Dom Goddard.

Unused Sub: Chase Maddison.

MotM: Corey Cunliffe.

United vs Ruston Sports



United went into the game against the side one place below them in the league knowing a victory would move them away from the lower reaches of the league.

With Danny Reid unavailable Dominic Goddard came into the line up and Alex Kendrick replacing Archie Paul.

By the time the gamed kicked off, the rain had ceased and the first goalmouth action came on 3 minutes when a dangerous cross from the visitors across the United six yard box eluded everyone and went out for a goal kick. Two minutes later, it was the turn of United to come close when Troy Lonslow laid the ball back to Kyle Howitt whose cross/shot hit the top of the crossbar.

On 8 minutes United thought they had taken the lead when a cross was sent over by Goddard and Lonslow on the far post knocked the ball home past visiting keeper McCleaf however, an assistant flag ruled Lonslow offside. Moments later, Ruston’s had a shot turned round the post by Travis Portas, and from the resulting corner Patrick Jack should have made more of his header instead of missing the target.

The game was going from end to end by this point but, on 15 minutes United took the lead when from a free kick 20 yards out LOUIS SAEBE fired through the wall and into the corner of the net. On 20 minutes another half chance came the way of the visitors when from a free kick they headed wide. By now the game was more United and on 30 minutes Lonslow, who whenever he had the ball caused problems to the Ruston defence laid the ball to Saebe whose shot was pushed out by McCleaf.

Another chance for the visitors came on 35 minutes when a break by Ruston’s resulting in Portas having to save at the expense of a corner. After 43 minutes HARRY GINNIFF replaced the injured Lonslow and within a minute had increased United’s lead when a delightful through ball by Saebe was collected by Ginniff who made room for himself before slotting past McCleaf. Then a minute later Ruston’s could have reduced the lead with a shot that hit the top of the bar.

It had been an all action first half with United taking their chances when they arrived.

Ruston’s started the second half on the front foot and after a couple of minutes had a shot on target but lacked power and was easily saved by Portas. On 55 minutes United went three up when a delightful cross from Ginniff was met at the far post by GEORGE HOBBINS who fired home high into the net.

For the next 10 minutes the game went end to end without either keeper being troubled until a first time shot coming from a Ruston’s player hitting the bar. On 76 minutes United scored number four when a free kick from LOUIS SAEBE way out on the left eluded everyone including keeper McCleaf and settled in the back of the net.

Until the final whistle half chances went both ways without any addition to the score, and United secured the three points. Manager Gary Edgley commented 'I've been asking the lads to pull together and for the first time this season they all did. It is taking longer than I had hoped to get all these new young players to gel together but it's now starting, and all the hard work being done by everyone associated with the club was rewarded with that performance and result on Saturday.

Team: Travis Portas, Kyle Howitt, Alex Kendrick, Arun Gray, Ross Muirhead, Corey Cunliffe, Jake Portas, (Jamie Wolstenholme) George Hobbins, Troy Lonslow, (Harry Ginniff) , Louis Saebe, and Dominic Goddard.

Man of the Match (joint) Kyle Howitt & Corey Cunliffe

Next Saturday United are away to Wyberton in a Supplementary Cup Group match. Kick off 2pm.



The Development side continued their winning ways with a high scoring 6 - 4 win at Hartwell Rovers (Grimsby). The young Skegness squad imposed themselves on the game from the start with quick passing and accurate finishing. Half time saw the Development Squad lead by 4 - 1. Throughout the match, the home side were physical in their approach which resulted in United suffering a number of injuries, United's Josh Clarke had to be taken to hospital with ligament damage. The second half saw Hartwell force themselves into the match but the young United team held strong. United goals came from Tom Pickett (3), Josh Clarke (2) and new signing Joshua Appiah. A result which keeps United at the top of the league.

"Stamus in Victoria Unita"