Skegness United FC badge

Match Reports






United started their journey in the Junior Cup with a second round match against Old Doningtonians from the Division One of the Boston League.

The first effort on goal from either side came on 7 minutes from a free kick for United, however Louis Saebe’s shot was well over the bar. The best chance of the game came on 14 minutes to the visitors when Ross Muirhead was caught in procession and Chris Grimmer had a clear run at goal, but Corey Cunliffe came in with an excellent tackle to clear for a corner.

From the resulting corner the visitors took the lead when centre back WAYNE FOSTER headed home.

The next minute a chance came the way of United when a cross from the right by Danny Reid was met at the far post by Troy Lonslow however his header hit the side netting. At this stage of the game United had control and on 25 minutes Muirhead was just over the bar with a header from a corner.

A minute later United drew level when a through ball sent Saebe clear, however Jamie Dolby in the visitor’s goal beat him to the ball but sent it straight to DANNY REID who placed his shot into the empty net.

The game returned to the other end when from a free kick the ball flashed across the face of the goal and on the ball took a deflection for a corner. From the resulting corner United had to clear of their goal line. Then Muirhead won the ball in his own half and attacked the visitors beating two players on the way before his shot was over the bar.

Then it was the turn of Jake Portas to try his hand at a shot which was turned over the bar by Dolby. Then a shot from George Hobbins was straight into the hands of Dolby.

United thought they had taken the lead two minutes into the second half when a cross by Harry Ginniff was knocked home by Saebe. After referee Webster had awarded the goal he then disallowed it on the advice of the visitor’s assistant referee.

Then on 50 minutes United had a two chances to take the lead and on both occasions the ball was cleared from the goal line. In the space of 4 minutes United made two changes due to injuries with Danny Reid and Troy Lonslow coming off for Tom Pickett and Archie Paul.

In a rare visitors attack Travis Portas had to tip a shot over the ball. Then Hobbins from a free kick found Pickett whose shot was just over the bar. Then on 65 minutes from a Jake Portas free kick Paul hit the top of the bar.

At this stage of the game the traffic was all one way towards the visitor’s goal, however United could not find the final touch. Pickett was making some good runs down both wings but could not find the break though.

With the game about to enter extra time the visitors when down to 10 men following a second yellow card.

At the start of extra time Donington were down to 9 men due to an injury and all the subs being used. United finally took the lead towards the first period of the extra time when JAKE PORTAS blasted a free kick home from 6 yards.

United took total control in the second period with goals from GEORGE HOBBINS and in the final minute from TOM PICKETT.

Afterwards, manager Gary Edgley commented ‘After going a goal behind which was against the run of play it was a good response from the lads to get level before half time. I thought we defended well and had plenty of possession, probably 75% of the game, but our final ball wasn't good enough and with Old Dons having 5 across the back we needed a bit more composure than we had. I'm hoping this result will give this young team a platform to build on and push on from here.’


United now await the draw for the 3rd round.

Team: Travis Portas, Arun Gray, Kyle Howitt, Corey Cunliffe, Ross Muirhead, George Hobbins, Jake Portas, Troy Lonslow (Archie Paul), Danny Reid (Tom Pickett), Louis Sabe and Harry Ginniff.

Next Saturday United are at home to Brigg Town Res – 3pm kick off.


Skegness United Development side got back into winning ways when they visited Sutton –on- Sea Vets and came away with a 3 – 1 win. Goals coming from Donnavon Bailey, Jamie Kilner and Jamie Wolsenholme.

Next Saturday the Development side are also at home to Holton United – 2.30pm kick off.






United went into this league match hoping to maintain their 100% record against second in the league Grimoldby.

United started on the front foot and could have gone a goal up in the opening three minutes when Tom Pickett was played in, however the visitors goalkeeper was quickly off his line to block the shot.

The half continued with the home side having another three one on one chances with the keeper - two from Pickett and one from Sam Walker along with a number of half chances. Each time the visitors keeper came to their rescue However, it was not all one way with the visitors having half chances of their own.

Grimoldby should have scored when a ball across the United area was sliced wide when it appeared easier to score.

Then with half time approaching Grimoldby took the lead when from a corner the home defence failed to clear and PHIL STEEL nipped in to score from three yards.

United at half time instead of having a comfortable lead found themselves a goal down and work to do in the second half.

At the start of the half United brought on Corey Cunliffe and Matt Davies for Daniel Briggs and Jamie Wolstenholme.

For 90% of the half United attacked the Grimoldby goal however could not find a way past the visitors goalkeeper along with the help of some resolute defending. As the game wore on United restored to long range shots which were off target or straight at the keeper. It was only in the last 10 minutes that Grimoldby came back into the game.

Then with seconds remaining United had a good chance to take something from the game. From a corner Pickett found himself with a clear shot on goal, however from 3 yards shot straight into the keeper’s arms.

This victory for Grimoldby moved them above United to take top spot in the table.

Team: Ryan Thompson, Arun Gray, Richie Haynes, Dan Howitt, Alex Kendrick, Archie Paul , Sam Walker (Jamie Kilner), Daniel Briggs (Matt Davies), Josh Clarke, Tom Pickett and Jamie Wolstenholme (Corey Cunliffe)

Alford Town vs Skegness Utd Development



The Development side continued their excellent start to the season with a Timothy Sales Trophy win over first division Alford. The home side included former United players in Andy Reeson and Jason Callaby.

Alford open the scoring in the first half with a goal against the run of play. A hopefull ball forward dropped close to goal but the loose ball was prodded home. This spurred United on and took the game straight to Alford fro the restart. Soon after, on 30 minutes Tom Pickett levelled the score with a shot from 25 yards which deceived the home keeper and flew into the net. 1-1.

On 60 minutes United got what they fully deserved. After great build-up play, from 20 yards Jamie Wolstenholme curled a beautiful shot into the top corner to seal the win for the visitors. The remainder of the game was played out with United continuing to push for a third goal but Alford held strong. Despite a late scare, United move into the second round after a well-deserved victory against a strong Alford team.

Team: Dan Howitt, Archie Paul, Donnavon Bailey, Daniel Briggs, Josh Clarke, Matt Davies, Tom Pickett, Sam Walker, Jamie Wolstenholme, Dom Murray-Parris, and Richie Hayes.

Subs: Jamie Kilner and Chris Brookes.

Skegness Utd vs Wyberton




United were playing their first match in Group A of the Supplementary Cup against Wyberton FC. The other side in the group are Cleethorpes Town DS. The top two in each group progress to the Quarter-Final.

The match kicked off in perfect conditions for football. The first action came on 4 minutes when United won a corner, however from the resulting kick the ball was bouncing around the visitor’s 6 yard box but no United player could take advantage.

The first direct shot on goal came from Wyberton on 10 minutes, but the shot was easily gathered by Travis Portas in the home goal. The game progressed with the visitors seeing more of the ball, without causing any problems to Portas. On a couple of occasion having to come out and gather through balls.

The first sight of goal for United came on 30 minutes when from a free kick Troy Lonslow got goal side of his marker, however his header was wide of the post. At the other end from a Wyberton corner the ball hit the face of the crossbar before being cleared.

The nearest either side came to scoring was when Curtis Revell for the visitors broke down the right and his perfect cross was met by Lee Orrey, but he could only direct into the hands of Portas. On 38 minutes Fraser Bayliss for Wyberton had a shot, however it was wide of the post.

A minute later the visitors took the lead when no one picked up CURTIS REVELL’S run into the area and when picked out he slotted his shot across Portas into the far corner. The next minute Ross Muirhead had to leave the field injured, and be replaced by Alex Kendrick.

Within a couple of minutes Wyberton had gone two up when a loose ball in the United area was knocked home by CHRIS SHIPLEY.

United went in at half time with all to do in the second half, and feeling disappointed at being two down. However, a game of few chances and the visitors had taken theirs.

United had the perfect start to the second half and after a couple minutes of the restart Louis Saebe played in HARRY GINNIFF who fired home into the corner from 12 yards. The next 15 minutes United had the better of the play without causing any problems to Martin Louth in the visitor’s goal.

Wyberton came close to increasing their lead on 60 minutes when a hard drive came in and Portas had to punch clear. The game was evenly matched until after 70 minutes when the visitors went three up. A cross from the right was not cleanly collected by Portas and JAMIE ELSTON was on hand to knock the ball home.

United’s best chance since their goal was on 82 minutes when Danny Reid was sent clear, however his chip over Louth also went just wide of the goal. Then at the other end Orrey shot pass the face of the goal.

With the final whistle approaching Wyberton got number 4 on the score sheet from a penalty. Corey Cunliffe caught a player in the box, and from the resulted spot kick CHRIS SHIPLEY fired home.

TEAM: Travis Portas, Jake Portas, Kyle Howitt, Arun Gray, Ross Muirhead (Alex Kendrick), Corey Cunliffe, Arron Scutt, George Hobbins, Harry Ginniff, Louis Saebe and Troy Lonslow (Danny Reid).

Skegness United Dev vs Alford Town Res

With the first team not in action due to the Rep squad game, attention was focused on the Development side. They were looking to maintain their 100% start to the season with a victory over Alford Town Res.

United made the perfect start to the match with two goals in the opening 10 minutes from Josh Clarke and Daniel Briggs.

On 22 minutes they went three up when Captain Tom Pickett became leading goal scorer with his fourth of the season. Then in the final 10 minutes of the half Dom Murray-Parris got himself on the score sheet.

During the second half United made a number of changes and took their foot on the brakes, however two of the substitutes got themselves on the score sheet.

First Joshua Nwkobia scored on 65 minutes and then with 8 minutes to go Jamie Wolstenholme became joint leading goalscorer with Pickett with his fourth of the season.

United now lead the East Lincs Combination Division Three table on their own with maximum points from their three games.

Team: Chase Maddison, Matt Davies, Dan Howitt, Archie Paul, Richie Hayes, Marcus Leatherland, Dan Briggs, Sam Walker, Tom Pickett, Josh Clarke and Dom Murray-Parris.

Subs: Jamie Kilner, Jamie Wolstenholme, Joshua Nwkobia and Wes McLenning.

CGB Humbertherm vs United




United were away for the third Saturday in a row when they visited CGB Humbertherm who to date had maximum points from their league programme.

Included in the home side line up were former United players Danny Stevens and Callum Hyland.

The home side could have taken the lead in the second minute when a through ball found Stevens, however he was just over the bar with his shot.

United’s first effort on the Humbertherm goal came three minutes later when the ball was played out to Kyle Howitt whose shot was just over the bar.

After 15 minutes it was United looking the better side with some nice touches in midfield, but could not penetrate the home defence. It was however the home side who took the lead on 23 minutes when RYAN KIRK was given too much room in the box and he shot across Travis Portas into the far corner.

The game continued with United having more of the ball with Troy Lonslow causing problems to the home defence with his runs. With half time approaching Portas had to bring off two good saves within a minute to turn shots round the post for corners.

Within two minutes of the restart the home side had a half chance to increase their lead when a misplaced pass by Jake Portas was picked up by a Humbertherm player, however after a run his shot was well wide of the target.

Then another shot was well held by Portas in the home goal. Then from a United corner Alex Tittcombe saw his header cleared off the line. At this point of the game United were having their best spell and Louis Sae-Be made a couple of runs, however they came to nothing. The game was going end to end and Portas had to save when a ball came in from the right.

Then Danny Reid was played through, but he delayed his shot and the ball was smothered by Tom Hill in the home goal. Another chance came the way of Reid, but again his shot hit the keeper, and from the follow up Sae-Be also hit the keeper.

As in the first half it was the home side that scored the next goal. A long ball was chased down by DANNY STEVENS who controlled the ball and placed his shot pass Portas.

When Hill in the home goal dropped a cross Reid following up hit his shot into the keeper’s arms. It was showing not to be Danny Reid’s day when his next effort from outside the area hit the cross bar.

The action went down the other end when Portas had to bring off a good save to denied the home side a third goal.

With the final whistle approaching the home scored their third goal. Another misplaced pass close to the half way line was gathered by JORDAN STRATON who had a clear run on goal, and his first shot was saved by Portas, however he knocked home the loose ball.

TEAM: Travis Portas, Jake Portas, Kyle Howitt, Arun Gray (Archie Paul), Alex Tittcombe, Corey Cunliffe, George Hobbins, Troy Lonslow, Harry Ginniff, Louis Sae-Be and Danny Reid.

Man of Match: Travis Portas.

Next week United have no match.


The development side continued their excellent start to the season with a 4-3 win over Louth Old Boys Vets. At half time they had a 3-1 lead with goals from Tom Pickett (2) and Dominic Murray-Parris. Then they lost their keeper Donovan Bailey to injury, and Louth came back to draw level. With 5 minutes to go Josh Clarke scored the winning goal and the three points for United.

Next Saturday (19th September) they entertain Alford Town Res at Wainfleet Road with a 2.30pm kick off.

"Stamus in Victoria Unita"