Skegness United FC badge

United vs Friskney


United went into the match looking to maintain their 100% record, however visitors Friskney had other ideas.

United had 10 regular squad members missing, however they should have had enough in the starting line up to maintain their winning league start to the season.

The home side started the brighter of the two sides and the pace of Callum Barlow and Alex Kendrick down the right side was causing problems to the visitors. They produced a number of crosses which opened up a number of half chances, however United could not take advantage.

Visiting keeper Josh Brown produced one excellent safe with his legs during this period of pressure. United thought they should have had a penalty when a player was brought down in the area, however, the referee thought otherwise. This was a number of strange decisions the official made for both sides during the match.

United finally took the lead when good play by Barlow found SAIMEN TSELA on the edge of the area who sidestepped his marker and fired into the corner of the net.

The visitor’s were using the long ball aided by the wind to get over the United defence, and on a couple of occasions they had to be alert to clear their lines.

With half time approach following a free kick from Jonny Hodson which was blocked, the visitors quickly broke down the left and when a shot came in it squeezed under Jack Minor’s dive, and Friskney found themselves level. The keeper would accept he should have done better with the strike.

Both sides went in at half time on level terms, however United would feel with better application in the final third would have gone in with a lead.

Within three minutes of the restart United re-took the lead when a break down the left by KEATON GRAINGER who went on to place his shot past Brown.

At this stage United should have pressed home their advantage, however they allowed the visitors to take more command of the game.

Friskney drew level with help from the referee. He adjudged that Ross Muirhead had pushed Greg Brown on the edge of the area. However, it was clear to everyone else he had taken advantage of the situation.

From the resulting penalty VICTOR SIBERT fired home.

This gave a lift to Friskney and they could see three points coming their way and they took the lead for the first time in the match. After a United attack had broken down they found themselves short at the back on the counter, and following a shot which hit the bar GREG BROWN was on hand to knock home the rebound with a well placed shot from the edge of the area.

United continued to attack for the remainder of the match, however they managed to only produce one good save from Brown in the visiting goal. The visitors were always dangerous on the break with United pushing forward.

At the final whistle it was the visitors who took the three points which was deserved on their second half performance.

Manager Michael Howard said after the match “Not a great day for us. Very frustrated with the officiating with some very poor decisions. Wasn’t happy at all with penalty as everyone knew the player took advantage of the situation. The referee wasn’t great all the game and made some weird decisions. Friskney didn’t cause too many problems to us but two mistakes lead to their goals. Doesn’t matter how many players we had out, we should all step up and be counted, but we didn’t want it enough”

Team: Jack Minor, Alex Kendrick, Daniel Howitt, Saimen Tsela, Ross Muirhead, Rhys Mansell, Zak Bray, Jonny Hodson, Elliott Clarke, Callum Barlow and Keaton Grainger.

Hodgkinon’s Man of the Match went to Keaton Grainger

"Stamus in Victoria Unita"